Monday, July 7, 2014

About Me

My name is Meredith Reed, and I have grown up in San Diego for the majority of my education. I was born in Denver, but only lived there for a short time. My education began when I lived in Seattle, Washington. I completed kindergarten, first and half of second grade. In the middle of second grade I moved to San Diego, and finished the rest of my education here. I went to Dingeman Elementary School, Thurgood Marshall Middle School and Scripps Ranch High School. For college I went to Westmont College in Santa Barbara. I graduated from Westmont College May of 2014 with a degree of Liberal Studies and a concentration in Physical Science. I have enjoyed school my entire life. School has always been a place where I have been excited to go. Even though I haven't always preferred certain subjects in school, I have always had a passion to learn. School was not the most challenging for me, but it was also not the easiest for me either. I did very well in school, but I had to put a lot of time and effort into my classes in order to do well.

Meredith ReedI don't consider myself to be fluent in technology, however I do know a fair amount about technology to where I don't feel completely lost or scared when using it. I have used technology for the majority of my life. I would consider myself a technology native because I have grown up with it. This doesn't mean that I know everything there is to know about technology, but it just means that I am not scared to try something new. Sometimes technology can be overwhelming for me if it doesn't work or I can't navigate my way around. In High School I got the opportunity to use technology to research for reports and papers, to create power point presentations, and to write papers. I would say the majority of my technology use has been using basic tools on the computer. The only other experience I have using technology specifically for teaching is during a class I took at Westmont College. This class was called Computers For Classroom Teachers, and it focused mainly on how to incorporate technology into our classrooms. We learned different websites that can further our students' learning. We also learned to use basic tools such as how to make a podcast, how to make an Imovie, how to use and create a "Weebly", and how to create a "Prezi". I do not completely love the idea of the computer revolution because I fell that it is important for students to experience books, magazines, encyclopedias, and other paper products. There is something to be said of the importance of reading paper books and writing on paper as opposed to typing and reading online. I do like the computer revolution though because it embraces what students are experiencing all around them. It shows students that there is more to computers than just playing games. Students will be able to learn that computers can be very helpful in their education.

One part of the CSUSM mission statement that stands out to me is the "promote and foster social justice and educational equity." In my past four years of college I have developed a strong desire for social and educational equity. This passion was created during a lot of my classes at Westmont where I got the opportunity to work in classrooms where there were students from all different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. I want every student in my future classroom to have the same education opportunities as every body else in their classroom regardless of what background they come from.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith!
    Thank you for sharing your story with me. It must have been tough to move around a lot at such a young age. Unlike you, I was born and raised here and my family has never left. It's safe to say that I was itching to get out of San Diego and explore as soon as possible. I too was a liberal studies major but I minored in Childhood Development and I LOVED it!

    Like you, I would consider myself a technology native. I enjoy pressing random buttons until I figure out what they do. I like how you pointed out that students need to experience books, magazines, etc. I think this is so important! I wonder how our future students are going to react when we bring them to a library and tell them they can't use any form of technology and need to use the actual book!

    Anyways, thank you for sharing with me and I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith, it was nice getting to know you through your blog. We have similar views on technology in that I'm not totally fluent but that I also don't oppose it and I'm open to learning new things.I think that the Computers in the Classroom course may be beneficial to you in this class. I will have to get together with you to get some tips! Have you always wanted to be a teacher? I agree with you and Julia when you said that there is importance in reading actual paperback materials and writing with pencil and paper. There is something significant in those basics.

    I also chose the promoting and fostering social justice and educational equity as one of the principles that spoke most to me. Being a Sociology major, it comes natural to me to think in that way and I agree that it is vital to provide students with the same opportunities to succeed regardless of culture or socioeconomic background. I think that creating an open, comfortable, non-judgmental learning environment allows for students to contribute freely to the learning experience f the classroom. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith,

    Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I too grew up in San Diego so we definitely have that in common. That's awesome that you did so well in school. There were a few times when I struggled in school and as I got older I started to realize that it would take more effort for me in order to do better.

    I completely agree with you about technology. I am the same way with technology. I do not mind picking something up and trying to figure out how to use it, but at times if I cannot figure it out I do get a little frustrated. I like how you talked about children should still get the experience of using books, magazines and other paper materials with information. I do believe technology can be used in a positive way to enhance learning but it doesn't work for everything. I was volunteering in a middle school class and they were taking history notes on their computer. This to me made we very frustrated because I feel like situations like that are taking advantage of technology.I feel like they are learning less by typing exactly what the teacher is saying instead of writing it down for themselves. So, I definitely feel as if there are both positive and negative aspects to the use of technology.

    I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith,
    I share your love of school as I think all of our class should. Every time I "go back to school" whether it was going to college, going back to finish my degree, or going back to get my credential I remember how much I actually enjoy sitting in a classroom absorbing information. I am so glad to see that you are interested in equity in your classroom. I just finished my inclusion course earlier this summer and I have to say I agree with you. It is so important to reach each and every child regardless of background otherwise we re not doing our job. I look forward to working more with you in class and i wish you the best of luck in your future career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith, Enjoying school even when it wasn't always easy is a valuable perspective. For many of us in that boat, there was something - the challenge ,or the extra-curriculars, friends, or something that made was want to come to school. There are those students who don't have that reason to like being in school. Your understanding of social justice and educational equity will definitely help you to inspire students and find that hook that makes them want to come back.

    ReplyDelete